Search This Blog

Thursday, April 09, 2009

The next train goes to Brahms via Elgar, first stop Nina Simone.


I noticed the other day, whilst standing waiting for my train home from work, that classical music is now being played in the Paris metro. I like this development for three reasons.

1: New music: Sometimes you hear music you've never heard before. I like this.

2: In an environment which is all about "moving on", "being on time" and "getting to the next destination", the music acts as a reminder to stop and enjoy the moment. I love the juxtaposition of these two apposite energies.

3: There is something significant about the fact that music is played through the platform loud speakers to all of us, as opposed to the endemic individualism promoted by ipods. It emphasises our togetherness over our being alone. I find it refreshing to see people take out their ipod headphones, look up and listen to what's going on around them.

Good work City of Paris

No comments: