Search This Blog

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Côte d'Azur: Route des Crêtes - The Ridge Road

About a month ago I spent a weekend in Marseille with my flatmate Jerome Piana (oh mino!). It was a perfect weekend. Jerome's band kindly let me play with them in their studio. We managed to get in some beach action and sampled the Marseille "mauvaises". We even managed to sneak in a cheeky football match between Olympic Marseille and Toulouse at which I saw 60,000 French people go off their collective faces. It was special. I went to a school where we were taught to show appreciation for good play by the opposition. At this football match, doing so would probably have put my life in danger.

However, I have to say that if you live in Europe and you have not take a car along la Route des Crêtes then you really ought to build it into your summer holidays somehow. La Route des Crêtes winds its way long the coast from the town of La Ciotat to Marseille. The views are spectacular. Mammoth mountains fall down sheer cliffs into a sea that seems to expand for ever, even past the horizon and into the sky itself. The scale of the views makes you feel very unimportant. Its definitely the most breathtaking place I have been to in Europe.



1 comment:

Fiona said...

Spot the Aussie - Boardies and Thongs. Go you good thing!