Search This Blog

Thursday, July 03, 2014

Bon Iver - I hate you

For years now I have tried to express it.

I've written it down on scraps of paper since I was 16.  I've tried to talk it out with my father on the back porch of our house in South Turramurra.  I've submitted pieces to various magazines searching for it.

The push and pull of it. Catching glimpses of understanding from the wind, and feeling - just for a moment - warmed.  Only for the next gust to bring with it more questions, and the cold confusion returns.

Well. Bon Iver just wrote it all out of him. In 4 minutes, and 197 words.




ever since i heard the howling wind
i didn’t need to go where a bible went
but then you know your gifts seemed heaven sent
just lead me to a choler, dad, thats the thing

i don’t know how you house the sin
but you’re free now
i was never sure how much of you i could let in
am i free now
won’t you settle down baby here your love has been
heavenly father
it’s defiantly lava
why you don’t carry other names

heard about a day where it dropped the Know
to go another day as we learn to close
cause I’m a known coward in a coward wind
but you’re free now
you turn around now and you count to 10
to see you go now
well i know now honey that i can’t pretend
heavenly father
is whose brought to his autumn
and love is left in end

i just been up here for god damn years
can you see now?
filling up hulls with god damn fears
i am free now
i know about it darling i been standing here
heavenly father
is all that he offers
a safety in the end

No comments: